COMING SOON!

In 1998, I developed the first prototype for a real P-90 that fits in a humbucker rout. I did this by splicing part of a dog-eared P-90 to a humbucker mounting ring. And guess what? it worked!

Alas, it was ugly, a pain in the butt to make, and I couldn't find mounting rings tall enough to modify for bridge positions, so I shelved the idea, occasionally making a few prototypes here and there....

By simply indenting the corners of the P-90 bobbin or base-plate, I found it will slip into most routs without further modification. This method means that, unlike some other versions, it uses a real P-90 coil geometry and retains the true P-90 characteristics. Some versions are made to fit under a metal cover the same size as a humbucker cover. Some versions use a tall coil, some versions use 43awg wire. The problem with this method is that it will not sound like a P90. Because it isn't.

Like a dog-eared P-90, this is a "static" mount, meaning it is not height adjustable. Each cover much be fit to each guitar, and fine tuning is done wih the polepieces. My favorite height is about 1/8th inch below the strings

 

Enter the age of 3D printng and rapid prototyping....

Early in 2015 I started new development using 3D printing and some local CAD talent to finalize the design, and this is what we came up with.

Mounted onto PRS DGT guitar

3D Rendering

3D Rendering

Actual 3D printed prototypes

Prototype mounted onto a PRS Zach Meyers

Prototype mounted onto Gibson SG

Prototype mounted on a Les Paul, neck position